Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sleeper Alert: Chris Iannetta

The buzz around the Fantasy Community right now is that Javy Lopez has been released and will likely retire unless the Braves want to sign him as a backup. However, thats not the big news. The BIG news is that this opens up a world of opportunity for Chris Iannetta, who will now likely be able to get 450 AB.

In the first couple mock drafts I did, I was found frequently selecting catchers in the mid-range like Michael Barrett, Kenji Johjima, and Ramon Hernandez. However, recently I have found myself waiting longer and longer to select a catcher and counting on players like Paulino and Iannetta to get me just a little positive value from the catcher spot.

It used to be that if you could find a catcher that wouldn't hurt you, you would take him in the earlier rounds. It is now becoming more common to find a catcher that will give you 10 home runs and won't kill your average. Iannetta and Paulino will be bargains in the last 2 or 3 rounds of the draft this year and I suggest waiting until then to grab your catcher.