Sunday, March 11, 2007

Battle of the Fantasy Gods Results

Well, better late then never...right? I finally have the results of the Battle of the Fantasy Gods. For the sake of time and sanity, I will not post the full results here but rather just go over some of the highlights and dissapointments and if you would like to view the full results you merely need to click the link above.

I need to start of by saying that the Fantasy Auctioneer software is great in concept but it lacks in execution. There were several glitches in the software that caused people to make bids that they did not want to. The biggest issue it caused me was winning Dye for 29 when I only meant to bid 17. If you have ever used this software before you know that it is very frustrating and for those who haven't I a sure you can imagine.

Looking at my results, it may be apparent that in the past, I have had minimal experience with auction drafts. Based on past drafts I have done and auction draft research I did, prior to the draft, I concluded that I would not pay more than 30 $ for any one person. I think that this strategy could have been executed well had I not had that 29 $ Jermaine Dye bid. If I was to go back and redo the draft, I think I would spend a little more in the beginning and save a lot toward the end to play the end of the draft. There were several steals at the end of the draft that I would have liked to have gotten but because of uncertainty with my budget, I passed on. In the end, I ended up with 10 $ extra because I grabbed A. Reyes for only 1 $ which I was shocked about and had allocated much more money towards him.

My offense, as you may have noticed is going to be very hit or miss. It has an incredible amount of upside but also could amount to very little. I have good speed on my team especially with Dave Roberts as my 5th OF, although I didn't want him, after Figgins went for 2 $ more than I was willing, I was forced to settle for Roberts. In hindsight, I probably should have spent a couple more dollars to get Figgins.

I am very satisfied with my pitching. Cain, Schmidt, Harang, and Bedard will all be very solid starters and should get enough strike outs to make up for a lackluster Chien-Ming Wang, but I desperately needed his wins as none of my previous four starters play on particullarly high powered offenses, with the exception of maybe Bedard (we'll have to see what the Orioles can do). On the RP side, I was happy to grab Jenks, Fuentes and Lidge although I overpaid for Jenks, at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. I was very happy to be able to grab Wheeler in the reserves draft because I am sure Lidge will be on a very short leash this year and he is next in line.

Some of my favorite value picks:
1. J. Crede - 4 $
2. Schmidt - 8 $
3. Wang - 5 $
4. Reyes - 1 $
5. Fuentes - 4 $

Some of my worst value picks:
1. J. Dye - 29 $ (software glitch)
2. B. Jenks - 15 $
3. R. Furcal - 28 $ (anticipated getting Hanley for 28 but he ended up going for 32)

Overall, I think my team will be able to compete. If my offense all comes together, I will be able to make a run at 1st place even though J. Dye screwed me over. I think with some smart trades and/or waiver wire additions, my team could end up being very solid. But if my offense doesn't come together as anticipated then my team could end up finishing towards the bottom of the league.

Top 3 make or break players:
1. Prince Fielder - Anticipating 35-40 HR from him, if he hits less than 30, my offense will be doomed
2. Adrian Gonzalez - Anticipating 30-35 HR with a .290-.300 AVG...same deal as Fielder
3. Chris Young - 20/20 potential player, if he doesnt reach even 15/15 I will struggle

Honorable mention: Jeff Francoeur (power), Cain/Bedard/Reyes

Questions? Comments? Shoot me an email!