Thursday, February 22, 2007

#19: H. Ramirez - FLA SS

I found a couple great shots of Hanley fielding but I decided to use this one because Hanley is a batter. He batted lead off for the Marlins last year and will again bat lead off this year, however, the teams long term plans include having Hanley batting 3rd or possibly even 4th. You know what that means -- his power potential hasn't even been tapped yet, and he hit 17 HR. He also stole 51 bags and while I think it would be hard to repeat last years numbers. I don't see any reason that 20/40 is out of the question.

Here's a little bit more about Hanley: He came to FLA in the trade that sent Josh Beckett to Boston. Seems like a good deal for FLA up to this point. He was NL Rookie of the Year last year in a very tough rookie class. He is owned in 99.5% of all ESPN leagues, I'm still trying to figure out what world the other .5% are living on. This guy is a beast, for lack of a better term.

One reason not to take him: It would be hard to repeat last years numbers and I wouldn't die of shock if he ended up with a 10 HR, 40 SB stat line, but that is his low end and it is still fairly solid. Basically, it is one of the more risky picks you could make here but I think that it will work out well.

One reason to take him: The NL Rookie of the year should have improving power, as mentioned earlier. I think ultimatly he could turn into a 30 HR/50 SB threat. The man is a machine that shouldn't be tested. He can beat you so many ways.